The History of CEC
CEC was founded in 1946 with a vision of delivering high-caliber system and technology solutions to its customers across all markets. CEC has stayed true to that vision, helping customers around the world solve their toughest technology challenges in audio/video, fire and security, healthcare communications, IT, and two-way communications.
Browse through this timeline to see just how far CEC has come …
1940s & 1950s
Vacuum tube technology is state-of-the-art, driving the expansion and commercialization of analog and digital computers, sound reproduction, and large telephone networks. At this time, mobile radios took up the trunk of a car. CEC is established as a small company that offers radio repair services. A few years later, it starts to offer nurse call solutions to the healthcare market.
- CEC is founded in Cedar Rapids, IA, as a small radio repair shop in 1946. Its first customer is Checkered Cab.
- CEC receives certification from Dukane (now known as GE Healthcare) for nurse call and intercom systems, bringing CEC into the healthcare communications market in 1956.
- CEC is named as the Motorola Service Station for Cedar Rapids, IA, and Iowa City, IA.
- The first commercial computer is created.
- Marking the beginning of a decades-long partnership, CEC begins working on the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics’ nurse call and intercom systems.
- Master Antenna Television Systems (MATVs) are installed in commercial businesses.